Saturday, 29 December 2012

Moving


We haven't done much work at the new allotment during December, the weather has either been very frosty or very wet. But everything is reasonably tidy, the beds are topped up with manure and the sprouts, leeks, broccoli and cabbage are growing well.

What we have done is clear our old plot which we are giving up at the end of this month. A few weeks ago Helen and I went down and lifted the blackcurrants, raspberries, gooseberries and rhubarb.  They are now replanted in the fruit beds at the new allotment. We've cleared away all the rubbish and pulled up the remaining cabbages. I also lightly forked over each raised bed so they are now tidy and weed free ready for the new tenants. It felt a bit like moving house.

When we first got offered our new plot--a proper allotment, I felt a bit sad to be leaving the raised beds plot. But as we started work on the new allotment I saw how much better it would be with sheds, a growhouse and more space. A space with a fence around and a gate we could lock. A space which wasn't encroached upon by other peoples' weeds, this was a major problem on the other plot which was a communal area.

So I'm happy that we've moved to another plot, but I do hope the new tenants look after our old one.

4 comments:

  1. Hi
    Best of British, lets hope the weather permits all our dream to come true. I walked to my allotment today, the sun was shinning all was well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember taking our allotment patch over on the 1st January, everything then looked so bleak. Looking forward to seeing and following the progress abd produce with your new allotment during the year.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah. Yes January is a very bleak month. Even well established allotments can look bad at this time of year. Will keep you up to date on the progress:)

      Delete