This 52 week salad challenge must be getting to me because the other night I was dreaming of lettuce. Not just any lettuce but red salad bowl lettuce.But I had been eating it earlier in the day and was feeling pleased that it was still doing well in the garden after all summer and I am still picking the leaves.
Looking back in my garden journal I found that I sowed the seeds on 21st April. Over the summer I have just picked the leaves, but recently because I thought they may not last much longer once the frosts start, I started to cut the tops which are a much brighter red colour and have started to thicken and become more lettuce shaped. These have been lovely in salads.
I am also now picking the winter salad leaves planted in the cold frame which are a curly leaf mix. The watercress and mustard are also still doing well.
Indoors I have sown seeds for baby leaves. There is a winter salad mix, some 'gourmet micro greens', rocket, beetroot and lemon basil. These are all at the just germinating stage, but I am also growing peashoots and have been cutting these for a few weeks.
The weather has turned very cold here now and sometimes the idea of going outside to the top of the garden to pick some salad is not very appealing, so it will be good to have some indoor stuff to use.
Winter salad leaves sounds super and healthy. Will try to plant some and give them a try. -4 today in my garden.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's not seed sowing weather out in the garden at the moment, but there's a lot you can grow on the kitchen windowsill to cut as baby leaves or micro leaves and they are really tasty.
DeleteYep, it's indoor sowing and growing for me too at the moment. You have a good mix of leaves for the winter - thanks for adding your experiences over on Salad Days :)
ReplyDelete