Friday, 30 December 2011
Reflecting on December
I normally do an end of month reflection on the garden. But really December in the garden hasn't been much different to November. So I'm thinking here about what I've seen done and enjoyed generally in December.
In the garden a few more plants went brown and flopped, more leaves fell and covered everywhere and some flowers gave up trying to stay in bloom. The weather and preparations for Christmas prevented me from going out doing much in the garden. I swept up leaves from the paths and will probably continue to clear the borders of leaves during the winter months. There is some colour around. The yellow climbing rose at the front of the house which I normally cut back in the autumn to stop it being blown about by the wind is still flowering. There are bright spots of orange from the calendula which I neglected to cut back, some lovely foliage colour from the grasses and hardy geraniums and the winter jasmine is now in flower.
The house has been full of activity. It's been a time for working through jobs lists, for shopping, for baking lovely food, making Christmas decorations and remembering people you only think about once a year when you send and receive Christmas cards. There have been lovely times with family, carol concerts and nativities with the grandchildren who live nearby and visits from the ones who live far away, tinged with sadness because we don't see them often enough. The house has been and still is full of colour, sparkle and twinkling lights. In a few days times all that will be gone and we will move on and make plans for the new year.
Hoping you all enjoyed Christmas and wishing you a peaceful and happy 2012.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


And a happy new year to you too Margaret :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sarah for reading and commenting on my blogs
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of the yellow climbing flowers. So bright and cheerful in quite a grey month.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year Margaret.
The yellow flowers are winter jasmine, always a welcome sight in winter. Thanks for reading and commenting, Rebecca
ReplyDeleteHappy new year to you too...Thank you for your lovely blogs, looking forward to the ones in 2012
ReplyDeleteThanks Hazelxx
ReplyDelete