I like to have some home made goodies in the house at Christmas time. They're always useful as Christmas presents. This year I've potted up some Hyacinths, hopefully for flowering at Christmas. These are going to some friends who I meet up with once a month. We like to exchange little gifts at Christmas but don't spend a lot. Then there's the blackberry or raspberry gin which I have yet to strain and bottle up. But I might keep that for the family who I think are looking forward to sampling it!
In the next two weeks I shall be making fudge, chocolate truffles, and shortbread. These are lovely packaged up into little boxes or bags and tied up with Christmas ribbon. Lakeland do some good presentation bags and boxes. You can make your own boxes or save little boxes to cover with pretty paper.
Last year I made some white chocolate and cranberry fudge. I thought I'd lost the recipe, but searched on the Internet and found it. It's a Tesco recipe and looks really Christmassy in cellophane bags tied with ribbon. This is great to make for Christmas fairs and coffee mornings, as presents for teachers or friends or just to eat yourself and enjoy!
White chocolate and cranberry fudge
Ingredients
- 350g (12oz) granulated sugar
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 175ml (6fl oz) can evaporated milk
- 100g (3½oz) dried sweetened cranberries
- 300g (10oz) white chocolate, chopped
What to do
- Cut a piece of baking parchment large enough to line a shallow 25x20cm (10x8in) baking tin or a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin.
- Put the sugar, butter, and evaporated milk in a large heavy-based pan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Bring to the boil, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. It is a good idea to set a timer for this.
- Immediately remove from the heat then add the cranberries and chocolate. Allow the chocolate to melt, then quickly stir the mixture and pour straight into the tin. It will thicken immediately.
- Spread into the tin and chill for an hour or so until firm. Cut into squares.
- Use a piece of card to make a festive box for the fudge. Line with baking parchment, decorate with ribbon, and attach a message.
- Cost per box: £2·16
- Makes: 500g (1lb)
- Takes: 20mins + 1hr chilling time

To me, fudge would be the perfect present :-)
ReplyDeleteThe recipe I've used in the past is from Booths, and it's so easy to do! This is the link I've found: http://www.booths.co.uk/recipe/White-chocolate-and-cranberry-fudge
ReplyDeleteI love home-made fudge and yours looks wonderful. I think something so personal and thoughtful is a wonderful gift. Have a lovely Christmas.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments. Obviously fudge is a good present to give!
ReplyDelete