Thursday, 31 January 2019

Through the Garden Gate--January




January is that month in the year when gardeners are feeling restless. they want to get outside to do things,  but the weather is not good, the soil is usually too wet to be able to plant anything and it's best for the garden to just leave things alone for  a few weeks.



It's a time to rest, to plan ahead and look forward to the Spring.  That's how |I have been feeling these last few weeks, I have been longing to get out into the garden and when I have been out there I've realised that there is nothing I can do yet.


We had some fine dry days early in the month, but then the cold set in and we had our first snow of the winter. The garden takes on another look when it is covered in snow. Much as I don't like the snow I love to see how it changes the look of the garden.


I didn't cut back in the autumn, I left the dead plant foliage and seed heads to give some winter interest and provide food for wildlife. When the seed heads and grasses are covered in snow they look lovely.

Although the January days are dark and dreary, I love to walk around and see what's growing. Our garden was only created last year so all the plants were newly planted. I've been keen to see how everything has survived in the new garden. There are buds on trees and shrubs. New growth is appearing at the base of perennial plants and there are bulbs coming through. The snowdrops I planted last year are flowering--there aren't many yet but I hope to add to them this year.


The witch hazel (Jelena) has grown really well and now has lovely orange flowers which seemed to pop open overnight.


The hellebores which I planted last year are flowering too. I really like these pink flowered ones


We have had more snow so still no gardening for a while  yet.
What's your garden looking like at the moment?

I am linking this post to Sarah's blog at 'Down by the Sea' for her monthly 'Through the Garden Gate' post.

3 comments:

  1. Gardens look so different in the snow. Your garden is establishing itself so well. The blooms of the witch hazel are fantastic, does it have a good scent too?
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve just ordered 100 snowdrop and 100 English bluebells in the green which I hope will arrive soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the snowy photos. The witch hazel and hellebore are sweet little hints of what is to be. We are several months away from any color or life activity in our garden her in Virginia. I look forward to seeing you gardens develop. Kim

    ReplyDelete