Saturday, 26 January 2019

Brightening up the winter



 
There's a lot of thinking ahead and planning required with gardening. Way back in October I bought bulbs, some for the garden some for the house. I planted tete a tete daffodils and crocus in pots for outside and hyacinths for the house. The hyacinths were put under the bench in the shed where it was dark and cool.


In December when the shoots were starting to grow I brought them out and put them on top of the bench in front of the window to get some light. I had several pots and bowls of hyacinths and I have been gradually bringing them into the house. As one plant starts to go over I bring another pot inside, giving me hyacinths flowering over several weeks. The smell is lovely and they brighten up the house so well.


Every year when I plant these bulbs I always think it seems ages before they will be flowering, but it is worth the wait. Outside the narcissus and crocus pots are starting to grow and I know there will soon be spring colour on the garden table.


1 comment:

  1. I’m a bit lazy and usually buy a couple of bowls of hyacinths from the local garden centre but haven’t yet.

    ReplyDelete