September was a lovely month in the garden. The rudbekias and sedums have been flowering for weeks and are still looking great. The sedums are so loved by the bees and butterflies. The Michaelmas daisies are flowering now and a good contrast to the lovely golden hakonechloa next to them.
One of the splashes of colour which is showing no signs of fading are the pelargoniums in the borders up the side path of the house. Some of them have been in the ground for two winters now, it must be very sheltered there. I would normally pull them up late autumn. I think they might be in there for another winter. I wonder how they will do this time.
There is a lot of tidying up to be done in the garden now as the summer flowers come to an end. I spent a couple of days weeding and tidying up the front garden. It had got very untidy, the hostas were completely slug eaten so I cut them right back. Under the windows at the front of the house the borders have got very out of control, so I have started to dig everything out. I want to start again with completely new borders but I'm not sure what to do with them so I have decided that once I have cleared the ground of all the unwanted plants I will leave it all unplanted over the winter while I think about it and work out a plan.
This month I have again joined Sarah at 'Down by the Sea' for her monthly 'Through the Garden Gate' slot.



Thanks for joining me for another month Margaret. Your garden is looking lovely as usual. It's amazing how the pelargoniums have survived for two winters, they are quite a display. Do you take cuttings just in case? Sarah x
ReplyDeleteNo I don't take cuttings, Sarah. It would be a good idea to do that
DeleteHave you had many butterflies on your sedum as I have seen very few this year.
ReplyDeleteOur neighbour has had pelargoniums survive two winters under his bay window too.
We haven't seen as many butterflies about this year, either at the allotment or in the garden.
Delete