Friday, 28 October 2016

Jams and chutneys




There's something really cosy and homely about stocking up the cupboard with jars of preserves to see you through the winter.  You've always got a jar to give to a friend or donate to a charity coffee morning.

Last week I decided to make some spiced apple chutney. I found the recipe in the Sept/Oct issue of Landscape magazine. As with all the chutneys I have ever made, it is easy to cook, but takes hours to make.
I have found that I need to set aside a full day to make chutney. Preparing the ingredients can take ages, then all you do is throw them in the pan, bring to the boil and simmer--but it takes hours to get the point when it is ready. You need to go away and do something else while it is cooking.  Chutney is ready when all the vinegar has evaporated and when you draw a spoon across the surface of the chutney a channel is formed without any vinegar filling it.

If you are making chutney for Christmas it needs to be made about a month or two in advance to allow the flavours to develop. I've never made this recipe before and I did lick the spoon after I had filled up all the chutney jars-- it tasted pretty good.  So I'm wondering if I can really wait for a month before eating it.

I've also made apple and blackberry jam. Click here for recipe. You may notice now that I'm making things with apples. If you've read my last blog,  you'll know why.






1 comment:

  1. I saw that recipe in Landscape magazine too, I am just too busy at the moment to have time to make any chutney! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete