In the weeks leading up to my retirement, many of my work colleagues asked me what I was going to do with myself when I was no longer working. I had lots of plans and projects in mind. I was looking forward to having more time for the garden and allotment. I was going to be looking after 2 of my grandchildren before and after school 3 days a week. I had hobbies which I'd not had much time for in recent years and wanted to take these up again, knitting, sewing, crafts, baking. There was also the pastoral work which I am involved in at my local church. That was enough to keep me busy for a while.
I worked for the NHS as a ward clerk on a busy orthopaedic ward. It was a very demanding and at times quite stressful job. I was very well organised, in fact I was probably a bit of a control freak. But I really did love my job. When I went back a few months after finishing work to see my work colleagues, they were surprised when I said that I didn't miss work at all.
I was so glad to get away from that mad, manic busyness. It was great to be able to relax and please myself what I did everyday. I am still busy, but busy doing what I want to do. There aren't enough hours in the day sometimes. When I worked I often heard retired people say they didn't know how they had ever had the time to go out to work. I now know what they mean by that.
I saw retirement as a new phase in my life, another role to take on, like starting a new job almost. But doing what I wanted to do, not being bound by rules and regulations. I'm still very organised, having grandchildren commitments means I have to be and I love being involved in their lives.
As I look back on the past year I can see how much I've achieved.
- I've lost weight and I'm more active now. I don't 'do' going to the gym--walking and gardening help me to keep fit.
- I've mastered my camera and how to upload photos. I'm now sorting them out into folders. Still lots more work to be done there.
- I wanted to improve my writing skills. I've made a start, here I am writing a blog.
- I've converted a spare bedroom into a craft room.
- I've had a massive paperwork clear out and reorganised our filing system for bills, statements, policies etc. There's still 2 bin bags of shreddings waiting to go on the compost heaps when there's more room.
- Done loads of knitting.
- Tackled a few new projects in the garden.
Please can you knit me a pair of wrist warmers for running? It's cold now and my wrists are vulnerable :(
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I worked all my adult life and hated working so couldn't wait to retire and I love the freedom it gives now me. I too have commitments looking after my 2yr old grand daughter which I also love doing. Long may it continue.
ReplyDelete@Sarah
ReplyDeleteI remembered the other day I'd promised to knit you the handwarmers. What colour would you like, I have lots of wool in my 'craft room'
@eviesgran
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment, Susan. I've just visited your blog and have signed up to follow it. Yes, the freedom retirement gives you is great and it's lovely to be able to spend more time with grandchildren.
It's so wonderful to read a post like this. I love to know there are people out there who love their lives and enjoy every day.
ReplyDeleteAww thanks for your lovely comment, Sarah. I know I have so many things to be thankful for.
ReplyDeleteLovely reflections one year in! It sounds like you keep very busy
ReplyDeleteHi Jeni, yes I am very busy and enjoying life. Now I need to get on with knitting those wristwarmers for Sarah!
ReplyDelete