Tuesday, 30 April 2019

Through the garden gate--April




Back in October I celebrated my 70th birthday and my daughters gave me garden vouchers, which is one of the best presents to buy me. Stocking a new garden with plants can be expensive and although I brought a lot of plants with me from my old garden there are still other plants which I would like.

I really wanted another tree for the garden and after much time spent looking at trees in garden centres I finally decided on a crab apple--crab apple 'Evereste' is the one I bought.  I like crab apples because they have blossom in the Spring, good autumn colour and fruits which the birds love.

When we planted the tree a few weeks ago it had lots of deep pink blossom buds on it. It finally burst into flower at Easter with beautiful white blossom. It has been the star of the garden during April and is still looking good.



Underneath the tree are two pots of tulips which I planted up last autumn.  They are lovely shades of white and pink and look lovely next to the white apple blossom. It's funny how sometimes plant combinations work well even when they were unintentionally put together.



The amelanchier has also been flowering during April and was a joy to see.  Outside our house on the grass verges lining the road are trees full of pink blossom. April must be the month for blossom.

I am linking this post to Sarah's blog at 'Down by the Sea' for her monthly 'Through the Garden Gate' post.

12 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful way to celebrate your 70th birthday by buying a beautiful tree to enjoy through the seasons. In our previous home we bought trees dedicated to each member of the family and it was lovely to watch the children and trees grow over time! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of buying trees for the family. It does make them extra special

      Delete
  2. Crab apples are very cheerful. Do you feel it's been an especially pink-blossom spring this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's been a good year for blossom in general, Lucy. The plum tree on our allotment has flowered for the first time ever and we've had it for about 8 years!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! Making it to 70 and still being able to plant a tree is amazing.
    I love tulips and yours are beautiful.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannie. I'm glad that I can still do gardening even though I have back problems. It's important to keep active and move in the right way.

      Delete
  4. More pots of tulips is my plan for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite pleased with the colour combinations I did for this year, Sue. I might try other colours for next year.

      Delete
  5. Those tulips are glorious! We are rather behind here this year & only a few plants have dared bloom during this very cool, wet spring. I'm hoping the tide is turning and we'll be seeing some actually spring-like weather this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll soon see lots of colour in your garden and have better weather, Margaret

      Delete
  6. Lovely tulips! Your blog is so beautiful and full of inspiration...
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete