Monday, 1 April 2019

Through the garden gate--March





We've had some lovely days out in the garden recently. At this time of year as the new growth starts to come through I always think it's like meeting up with old friends. I'm so pleased to see plants again and look forward to them flowering later on. There are others which I remember planting last year but where are they? Then when they appear at last I am so pleased. Last year everything was newly planted in our garden, this year there are bigger clumps and more flowers. It's good to see that they are happy in their new home.


There are lots of spring plants in bloom now and each day more buds appear on different plants. Down in the bottom border which is very damp, the marsh marigolds which came as cuttings from the allotment pond garden have buds about to burst open.



There is lots of blue and yellow about in the borders at the moment from the Brunnera and pulmonaria, the primroses and daffodils.



Last autumn I planted up pots with blue violas and they are now coming back to life. The tulips I planted in containers have got big fat buds and I am so looking forward to them flowering to see if the colour combination I chose works.



A few weeks ago I bought a tray of mini daffodils and a tray of muscari and planted them in a container hoping that as the daffodils started to go over the muscari would be coming into flower. And that's exactly what happened!


The Amelanchier tree is about to burst into blossom. We planted another tree recently--a crab apple. I spent months researching trees and deciding which one to buy. It has lots of pink blossom buds and will be flowering soon. 

The bees are busy, we have seen butterflies and I don't think I have ever seen so many ladybirds so early on in the year. There have been quite a few in the house over the winter, they have been hibernating in the bedroom window frames.

I love this time of year when everything in the garden is so fresh and new. It's all about new life, growth and change and there's so much to look forward to.

I am linking this post to Sarah's blog at 'Down by the Sea' for her monthly 'Through the Garden Gate' post.





No comments:

Post a Comment