Friday, 26 May 2017

Tomatoes are planted up


There is so much to be done on the allotment now. I go down there to do certain jobs and then find there are so many other jobs also need doing.

The tomato plants have been growing well and I have been potting them on into larger pots until it was time to plant them up into their final planting positions.


This year I have grown five varieties-- Moneymaker, Ailsa Craig, Shirley, Gardeners' Delight and Red Cherry.  Last weekend I potted them up into big pots in the greenhouse.  We have had to move out some of the staging in order to make room for them and as I gradually move seedlings to the cold frame I will be able to move out more of the staging to make room for more pots.


I used a mix of home made compost and multipurpose compost to pot them up into big pots.



They are looking really good and strong and I am so looking forward to picking the first tomatoes. Eating them straight from the plant is probably the best way of enjoying them, but I love to make chutneys and soup too.

2 comments:

  1. I just laughed at that first sentence - story of my life at the moment! I was excited to try Gardener's Delight this year but sadly, the seeds failed to germinate, which happened to several varieties that I purchased from one particular supplier. I'll have to do a germination test on those to see if I was unlucky or whether I should get rid of the entire packet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tomatoes are planted up in the garden greenhouse but we still have to sort out the greenhouse at the plot.

    ReplyDelete