That got me thinking about how easily I give up on plants especially at this time of year. Some plants take a long time to emerge from their winter rest and I suppose I can be a bit impatient. There must be quite a few plants which over the years I have dug up and thrown on the compost heap. Their lifeless looking twiggy stalks deceiving me into thinking they had died over the winter. Then there are the ones which just disappear, leaving me thinking, 'I'm sure I planted something there last year'.
Fortunately for me, some plants are hard to get rid of and will keep coming back. I planted a couple of Hostas last year in the shady border and I thought I'd move them this year as I'm dong a bit of rearranging in that border. When I went to look there was no sign of them. I kept searching the border for signs of life and finally decided they must have died, when the other day I spotted the new growth poking its way up through the soil. Then there was the Achillea which disappeared for a couple of years. I'd given it up for dead but it reappeared last year. Its now growing fast and furiously. And recently I spotted a tiny purple leaved Euphorbia growing where there used to be a big clump of them. I thought I'd lost that too, its been missing for a few years. I'm going to nurture it with care.
At the moment I'm carefully watching some of my grasses which I cut back several weeks ago and are still not showing any new growth. I think I'd better wait and give them a chance, just as I did with the pansies.


No comments:
Post a Comment