Wednesday, 20 April 2011
Getting creative in the garden
One of the jobs I love doing in the garden is making new borders or redesigning existing ones. That's what I've been doing recently. Last autumn we decided to reshape the lawn by curving it out a bit, which meant extending 1 or 2 of the borders. So I now have some extra planting space which is great. I love to be able to create a new look to a border, especially if it wasn't working well before. Sometimes colours don't work well together or plants get overcrowded.
I wanted to try to use ideas I've picked up from reading garden magazines or seen on TV garden programmes about planting in groups and thinking about colour, structure etc. I also didn't want to have to spend money on lots of new plants (even though I love doing that!), so I mainly used ones I already had that I could lift and divide. I did weaken though and buy a couple of new plants!
I do have a thing about not liking to see bare soil in a border, and I have to stop myself from trying to plant in every available space. I know that the new plants will grow and fill the spaces up soon.
Well that's one of the borders done now and I'm quite pleased with the result. I'm looking forward to seeing the new planting scheme develop as the year goes on and hope it all works well. But if it doesn't, I can always move the plants around next year.
Can't wait to start on the next one now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment