Friday, 30 June 2023

Through the Garden Gate--June 2023

 

The lovely weather we were having in May continued into June, but after such a long dry spell the garden started to suffer. The damp border dried up and some of the plants started to look a bit shriveled. At last the rain came, and very heavy it was too. So I was able to put the hose pipe and watering cans away for a while. The garden looks much fresher now.



I love seeing the garden change with the seasons and seeing the early plants die back and others coming in to flower to take their place.  The early hardy Geraniums, Aquilegias, Camassias, Primulas have all gone over and one of my jobs now is to cut them back. 




Now filling the borders are, Veronicastrum, Campanula, giant Scabious, white Valerian, Alchemilla mollis, lavender. Another of my jobs is to put some supports in place as some of these are now flopping over after the battering they got from the rain.





Early in June we visited RHS Harlow Carr at Harrogate. June is a good time to visit, there was so much colour. The streamside was particularly colourful with the candelabra Primulas and Himalayan blue poppies (Mecanopsis). 






Elsewhere there were clumps of Irises and foxgloves looking lovely. 



It is a good few months since we last visited Harlow Carr and since then there have been quite a few changes. There were some big rocky areas made from huge boulders and paths meandering through. It seemed like there were more water areas too. We always like to see the kitchen garden to get ideas for the allotment. 



I am linking this blog post to Sarah's blog at 'Down By the Sea' for her monthly 'Through the Garden Gate' post.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I enjoyed the tour of your garden as well as RHS Harlow Carr. The blue poppies are amazing!

    You mention something called rain?! We’ve had so little for two months and are in the middle of a hosepipe ban…which we think will last for months!

    I look forward to checking back and seeing your garden in July! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Sal. Hope you get some rain soon. We're now wanting some drier weather!

      Delete
  2. I love the seating area in your garden surrounded by blooms. It makes me wish I was there with a cup of tea.

    I'm glad you finally got some rain. We are listening to thunder and hoping the dark clouds keep coming our way.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get your long awaited rain, Jeannie

      Delete
  3. If only the rain could have been distributed over a few days and not caused some much damaged to the plants! We have only recently started growing white valerian rather than the pink variety, it is more eye catching although seeds everywhere! Lovely to see your images of Harlow Carr the Blue poppy is amazing, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Valerian seedlings are all over our garden too.

      Delete
  4. The wind has spoiled lots of our plants so disappointing. I shoud be used to it by now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is disappointing, Sue. Just as a plant is beginning to look it's best, the rain and wind knock it back

      Delete