Tuesday, 28 May 2019

Matshead Lodge





Last week we visited our first garden of the year under the National Garden Scheme. Matshead Lodge garden is at Bilsborrow, about 45 minutes from where we live, but was well worth the visit. The garden is not far from Barton Grange Garden Centre and the instructions were to park on the car park there and walk to the garden. We weren't told how far the walk was, just that it was along a public footpath, over the railway footbridge and along by the river. I was hoping it wasn't going to be too far. We both have stiff, achy joints.


It was a lovely little walk apart from the noise from the traffic on the M6 nearby and it was only under a mile, so quite manageable. As we walked along the path we met people coming the other way who told us the garden was well worth the walk. That spurred us on and  I'm pleased to say that they were right, it was worth it.



The garden is about 2 acres and has many interesting features. There was a  little Japanese garden. I didn't go over the bridge, I wasn't sure if I would be allowed. It was safely guarded.



The pond below has a crocodile living in it. Can you see it?




Throughout the garden there were many rhododendrons in bloom, providing lots of vibrant colour.





We wandered around the pathways, through archways and walkways dripping with wisteria and clematis. There were a lot of archways which gave a sense of wanting to know what was beyond, where did they lead to?






There were plenty of seating areas too, which I liked. I always like to try them out, to see what view there is from that particular point.  I love an enclosed sitting area which you just come across in a secret little area. This one was quite special.  We sat on the sofa for a while, thinking it would be good if someone brought us a drink and a meal, but no one did.




Another seating area


Another archway



When we visit open gardens we nearly always come away with an idea to use in our own garden. Our visit to Matshead Lodge made me want to plant more clematis in my garden.  Perhaps I will do that, although I don't have the space for so many archways.

There were no plants on sale at this garden, but back at the garden centre where we had parked the car, we went in to look around. Barton Grange is a big place and the plants are a bit pricey, so I don't buy from there unless there is something I can't get from a local garden centre. But I couldn't resist buying a terracotta bowl and some alpines which I planted up when we got home.











1 comment:

  1. I would really love a garden like that, I’d Never leave it.

    ReplyDelete