Wednesday, 1 August 2018

Through the Garden Gate--July




We were pleased when the rain finally arrived and in great deluges. It has helped us to ease up on the watering, although there are still big cracks in the ground. I think it will be some time before the ground recovers from all the dryness. The reservoirs are drying up and at the end of this week there will be a hose pipe ban in force here.

The garden is still looking colourful and we can't help but be amazed at how different it looks now after only a year since starting work on making our new garden. The raised beds next to the seating area have been full of bees buzzing away. It's good to know that we are doing something to help the wildlife.

The late summer colour is now emerging--crocosmia, perovskia, rudbekia, phlox and monarda


  

I'm pleased to see that the hydrangea  'limelight' has survived the winter and is coming into flower. This was one of the first shrubs I bought last autumn when we were starting on our new garden.



I have two lots of sweet peas, one frame at the allotment and a wigwam in the garden and they are both flowering their socks off. The garden wigwam is behind the seating area where we get their beautiful scent wafting over to us. I am cutting them every two days and even though they only last a couple of days once cut it is worth it to have a constant supply of flowers in the house.

I am linking this post to Sarah's monthly 'Through the Garden Gate' blog at 'Down by the Sea'
http://downbytheseadorset.blogspot.com/2018/07/through-garden-gate-july-2018.html





6 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking amazing Margaret even with the dry weather and with it also being the first year! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm imagining the fragrance wafting from your jug of sweet peas.

    Hosepipe ban is a hard adjustment to make. Our watering cans work hard, harvesting grey water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, Diana we have now heard in the last day that the hosepipe ban will not take place after all. Thanks to the recent heavy rain and the fact that people have been trying to conserve water it seems that it won't be needed after all.

      Delete
  3. Cutting sweet peas is a full time job isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, Sue. Monty Don says that you only need to cut sweet peas every ten days, but I find they need cutting more often than that.

      Delete