The onions have had a lot to put up with this year. Soon after planting the sets, the moles moved in, that must have been a bit traumatic for them being pushed up out of the soil before they were ready, but they seemed to recover and carried on growing.
Then as time went on the weeds arrived and took over. Now I know that onions don't like competing with weeds, they like their own space, but we were busy moving house and so the poor onions got neglected, but they continued to grow.
I laid them out to dry in the sunshine on the greenhouse staging which we dragged out from its summer storage behind the shed and also in the cold frame.
And so, despite all the trauma of bad growing conditions, the onions have done well and seem as good as in previous years. I'm pleased with my harvest.






I set out onions out to dry and guess what - it rained!
ReplyDeleteI'm never sure that it's such a good idea putting onions out to dry outside here in the north with all the rain we get. Some of my allotment neighbours dry them out in their greenhouses but I don't have any spare space for that.
DeleteWe find that even when we tried drying them in the greenhouse thet got damp likewise in the cold frame
DeleteWell, you must tell me your secret because for the past few years, my onions have not done as well as I would have liked. What's odd is that the first time I grew them, they were amazing, but it's been downhill from there - I suppose it was beginners luck!
ReplyDeleteWhen I grew onions in the garden they were always small. Since I've had the allotment they have always been a decent size. I don't have a secret as such but I always manure the bed in the autumn or winter. Keep trying , Margaret
DeleteWow you have got a good crop on onions. I never seem to grow enough in our garden. Sarah x
ReplyDelete