If the rain ever stops I might get some work done in the garden and at the allotment. I keep sneaking out when there is a brief dry spell to do a few jobs. Last week I managed to plant some tulip bulbs in pots. I've never grown tulips before, but I've been admiring the Sarah Raven Tulip collections and for my birthday this year my daughters bought me some. They came in two lovely hessian sacks--very useful.
I planted one lot at the allotment in a big deep plastic tub which I grew carrots in this year. The tulips should brighten up the allotment next year.
The rest I wanted to plant at home in big pots. I used an old enamel bread bin for one planter and a deep pot for the other. I planted them in layers. The first layer, near the bottom of the pot but with a two inch depth of compost below them. Then I added more compost and placed another layer of bulbs on this. I topped with a final layer of compost, making sure that the bulbs were at least eight inches deep.



I'm sure your tulips will be wonderful.I have always found Sarah Raven tulips to produce a magnificent show although they are quite costly. We were so impressed with our tulips last year that we treated ourselves again this year. We will have to compare our blooms! Sarah x
ReplyDeleteYes we will Sarah!
Delete