When the council
cut the trees down at the top of our plot8 allotment last year it looked like it was goodbye to the grandchildrens'
woodland den. Their secret hiding place had gone in one fell swoop of the tree cutters saw. The tree canopy had been raised, the privet hedge was cut back and the elder bushes which had provided little secret places had been cut down to the ground.
I thought they would be upset at having their den demolished but when they saw the results of the chopping down they quite liked the open space which had been created. That was a relief and when I suggested ways that we could make it into a good play area they embraced it all and got stuck in to start the work.
We raked all the debris out of the way to make a path and put some wood chips down. Some of the cut off tree branches made good seats. I managed to make some little planting areas and with the extra light created by the raising of the tree canopy we should be able to grow some shade and woodland loving plants.
After visiting
RSPB Leighton Moss we had the idea of making another tepee as our previous attempt had been a bit messy. So we scoured the woods across the lane from the allotment and found some good sized tree branches to make a little shelter under the sycamore tree.
I made a start on planting up the little borders with some rooted plant cuttings from the garden. I've planted aquilegia, brunnera, foxgloves and hardy geranium. I also put in some tete a tete daffodils, muscari and bluebells. It looks really good, and is usually the first place I head for whenever I arrive on the allotment. If the grandchildren lose interest in it then I might claim it as my own little space.
No comments:
Post a Comment