Monday, 20 January 2014
Soup and silence
Food is becoming quite important to us at the allotment. Yes I know it's important because we grow it, but I mean the food we take to keep us going for a long day of digging and hard slog. I've written about food before so I may be in danger of repeating myself, but the right food can make the day so much better.
Cake is essential. Nothing sticky or messy--a wholesome fruit cake or banana loaf is ideal. The sort of thing you can munch on whilst wandering around looking how your seedlings are doing or counting the caterpillars on the brassicas or admiring the sweet peas.
Last week we had lunch down there. I took soup--home made leek and potato--made with our allotment leeks. It was perfect for a chilly day. We sat just outside our home made shed in the winter sunshine, enjoying the soup, watching the long tailed tits on the fence and listening to the silence. It was all very good, so good I just had to tell you about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Big fan of food at the plot. Nothing more frustrating than having to come home for lunch when you're on a roll.
ReplyDeleteThat looks so good! Sarah x
ReplyDelete