Thursday, 28 February 2013
Seeds
We're always ready to grab any free seeds, so when my daughter and I heard that there was going to be a stall on the market with a seed giveaway, we went along to see what was on offer. The event was organised by a local environmental charity group called Prospects who have a food growing project working with allotments, schools and other community groups.
I wasn't really expecting too much, maybe just a couple of packets of free seeds and lots of promotion for the group. When we got there we were pleasantly surprised to find the market stall had boxes of seeds set out containing many different varieties of all sorts of vegetables, herbs and salad crops. Not only that, we were allowed TEN packets each!
Needless to say we had a good old rummage through the seed packets. Although we had already bought our seeds for the new growing season, this was an opportunity to try some different varieties.
Our haul included:
turnip, cabbage, pumpkin, yellow courgette, purple podded pea, beefsteak tomato, pepper, runner bean, broad bean.
There were plenty of varieties of salad leaf which caught my eye and since I have been taking part in the
52 week salad challenge I'm always ready to try something different.
We picked out:
Swiss Chard--bright lights, Mustard Pizzo, Orach Scarlet Emperor, American land cress, Mizuna, Perpetual Spinach, Rocket --discovery, Pak Choi crunchy mix, and a frilly leaf salad mix.
That should keep us very busy this year and now we have two allotments to grow on we should have plenty of space. Can't wait to get sowing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Well Done Margaret, I clicked on the link to the Prospects web site and under the events section I noticed that this organisation is running organic food growing training(Free). such courses cost a small fortune in my local area, maybe worth having a look.
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa. My daughter and i did the organic food growing course a few years ago when we took on our first plot, a starter plot. It was very useful and a good way to get to know the other allotmenteers. Prospects is a very helpful organisation. The council are very good too compared to some authorities
DeleteA nice haul :) Orach's on my list to try this year.
ReplyDeleteI've been really impressed with Rebekah's seeds - I've bought quite a lot of the microgreens I've been trying. Nice, easy to use website, prompt delivery and good value for money.
Looking forward to seeing how these all grow later this year.
That's good to know, I've never used Rebekah's seeds before. I'll keep you informed as to how they grow:)
Delete