Monday, 19 November 2012

Winter tubs


I love it when just as you think things have finished in the garden you can do something else to keep things going. Like potting up containers with winter colour.  That's what I did at the weekend.

I bought some pots of red mini cyclamen, some small hardy ferns, a stipa sirocco grass which has shades of copper and pink in autumn and winter and some gaultheria which is a small plant with dark glossy leaves and  red berries. These are all sold in garden centres at this time of year for autumn/winter container planting.

I made up one container in the front garden near the door.



Another smaller pot for near the back door



 
I added two of the gaultheria to this trough which has been going through the summer with violas, now gone over. The ivy in the pots was there for the summer displays and is still going strong. I removed the top layer of compost in the pots and topped up with fresh.



 These should all keep looking good beyond Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Your winter tubs look so colourful and are just the thing to brighten by the cold winter days that are ahead. My geraniums are still flowering at the moment and they still look so good I haven't replaced them.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my geraniums are still flowering, I always like to keep some still in pots to see how long they will keep going for

      Delete