Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Winter salad growing



As the weather has turned colder and growing slowed down, I have moved my salad growing into the cold frame. I sowed some Sarah Raven winter salad mix a week or two ago and am pleased to see they have germinated.  I also planted some  seedlings of a frilly leaf mix bought from the garden centre.




 In the garden beds the red salad bowl lettuce is still growing well and the mustard is enormous. I tend to pick the smaller leaves as they look more attractive in a salad, but I think the larger ones are more peppery.  These have kept growing all summer, I keep wondering how much longer they will all last. I'm sure the cold will get to them soon and they will just flop. There is still plenty of watercress and just one small lettuce which I think is a butterhead variety.  Indoors I have started growing pea shoots again.  I think it's time to check out the garden centre to what salad leaves I can grow through the winter.

4 comments:

  1. T&M do a speedy salad mix - we found it does grow just that bit faster during the winter months earlier this year.

    V sensible to start growing pea shoots again. I must go and sow some too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall check that out. I'll start sowing the microgreens again too.

      Delete
  2. I've been reading about your allotment with great interest, those raised beds and greenhouse are very impressive! Suzy, your new follower x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Suzy, thank you for your comment and welcome to my blog. I've just had a quick look at your blog which looks very interesting :)

      Delete