Monday, 3 September 2012

Foraging


At the top end of our allotment there is a jungle of weeds.  We are working  up that way in our clearing sessions, but as yet it is a mess. Amongst the mess are blackberries ripening daily. There aren't very many, I've only picked about 6 so far, that's not enough to make a pie with. We're going to let them ripen and then pick them before we finally cut the mess down.  There will still be blackberries to pick though, because I've found some more nearby.

The allotments are situated along a lovely lane, full of wildlife and I went foraging along this lane last week. There I  found an abundance of blackberries. I was in blackberry heaven as I picked. I was dreaming of blackberry and apple pies and crumbles using the apples from our apple tree in the garden, blackberry jam, blackberries mixed with the raspberries from the garden and blackberry gin.



I need to be quick though because other people know of this blackberry place, I've seen them walking down the lane with carrier bags. But I think there is plenty for everyone and I mustn't be greedy.

The down side of this blackberry picking is the scratches and nettle stings to my arms, so I have to remember to wear long sleeves when I go there.  I've also found that the best ones are always just out of reach.  So I take a small rake with me to pull the branches down.

I'm doing well, I've picked lots now and they're in the freezer ready for when I  have a baking session. If  I don't bake soon I may just have to go out and buy another freezer because I'm running out of blackberry space.



No comments:

Post a Comment