Spicy rhubarb crumble
Ingredients
1-1 ½ lb rhubarb
1oz brown sugar (demerara or light brown, not the very dark kind)
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
For the crumble topping:
3oz flour
3oz brown sugar
2oz butter
Pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 400 gas mark 6.
Wash and slice the rhubarb into 1inch lengths then put this into a pie dish
and sprinkle with 1oz of brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon of ginger and the same of nutmeg.
For the crumble top, mix the flour, sugar, salt and spices together, add the butter and work together until the mixture is crumbly.
Then spread it over the rhubarb in the dish so that the fruit is completely covered.
Place in the oven on a baking tray and cook for about 30—40minutes or until the fruit is cooked and the top well browned.
Serve warm or cold.

I love crumble but hate cooked fruit :(
ReplyDeleteOh dear, well you could just eat the topping, Sarah!
ReplyDeleteI've just finished making this crumble, although it's not in the oven yet! I have doubled the crumble quantities as we like lots of topping in our house. Can't wait for tea time!
ReplyDeleteYes I found that I needed to double the amount of crumble.
ReplyDelete