Saturday, 30 November 2024

Through the Garden Gate--November 2024


We've had some bad weather this month and the garden has taken a bit of a battering. It was still looking very autumnal early on with the grasses showing off their lovely colours. 



I even managed to cut a few flowers for the house.


But then things changed and the weather turned colder bringing frosty mornings. Then the snow arrived which kept us indoors for a few days.




So gardening work has slowed down now. I occasionally cut a few plants back if they go mushy, but most of the tidying up can be left for a while. I planted tulip bulbs in pots and smaller bulbs in small pots for the garden table. 

Now I am getting ready for Christmas. This week I cut foliage for Christmas wreath making. The allotment is a good place for foliage. Conifer and berried ivy are plentiful. My daughter has a rosemary bush in her garden and was happy for me to cut from it. I have a pot of it by the kitchen door but  I have never been able to get it to grow very big, probably because I cut it a lot for cooking with. I will be making the wreaths next week. 



Next week we will also be going to the garden centre to buy our Christmas tree. We go early in December to buy it so we get the best choice, but don't bring it in the house until later.

Today I will be at church decorating a Christmas tree for our Christmas tree display. An event we started last Christmas and are repeating this year. It's a busy time of year and starting to get very Christmassy. 

I am linking this post to Sarah's blog at 'Down by the Sea ' for her monthly 



4 comments:

  1. Something has dug up all the bulbs that I planted in pots! As for the snow ours went away quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably squirrels. I covered my tulip pots with wire netting or upturned hanging baskets

      Delete
  2. It looks like winter garden fairy tale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see you can get a vase of flowers despite the weather!

    ReplyDelete