The garden in January can be a dull place. We have had our share of storms in the last few weeks and also snow. So the garden is looking a bit battered. The grasses have been blown about and straw coloured stalks are all over the place. Tall stems of flowers with seed heads have fallen over. Leaves blown onto the beds have gone soggy. So generally the garden is not just dull but messy too.
I have done some tidying up on the few fine days we've had. We are encouraged now not to be too tidy in the garden and not to cut back in the autumn but leave dead plants over the winter for the wildlife. This is what I do. But come January I am always longing to get out and do something. So my work is to have a light tidy up, clearing soggy leaves and plants. Any stalks and seed heads I gather into piles and leave at the back of the border so the wildlife can still get at it. I can easily clear it away in a couple of months time.
So it's encouraging to go round the garden even on the bad days, to get signs of what's to come in only a few weeks.
I am linking this post to Sarah's blog at 'Down by the Sea' for her monthly 'Through the Garden Gate' post.






I agree. January can be dull. Here the skies are often gray and overcast. Even my husband got a candle out and lit it one day to cheer the place up.
ReplyDeleteI understand why people say to keep the debris around for wildlife but there is no reason why it can't be moved to the compost pile. Surely, the wildlife prefers eating in peace away from the noise of the house? Perhaps cleaning up our gardens is doing them a favor?
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry
I think these days we can be made to feel guilty for not helping wildlife , but there are ways we can help whilst still keeping our garden for our enjoyment. A lot depends on the size of garden. A small corner with debris and twigs, a bird feeding area, a pond, a hedge and as you say a compost heap.
DeleteI need to get some tidying up done in the garden but as you say it's all so soggy.
ReplyDeleteAre you looking for a loan to buy a home or for business? After a lengthy interviewing process with mortgage lenders we ended up going with Mr Pedro Jerome loan offer at his Home Mortgage loan offer. As a first time home buyer, he was absolutely wonderful in helping us secure our mortgage, providing great advice, and always looking out for our best interest. I would definitely recommend anyone that is buying a home or looking for a positive loan lender to finance his needs or business to use Mr Pedro Jerome and his team on any kind of loan.I Will absolutely use them again in the future.
ReplyDeleteYou can contact a loan officer Pedro Jerome On Email : cf-loans@outlook.com / WhatsApp +393510140339 I learned that they also offer business loans on their website.
Good luck.