On Gardener's World last week Monty Don described his garden as 'chaos'. That's a good description of my garden at the moment. It's that time of year when many plants are now going over, others getting big and flopping over.
If I go out to do some gardening I'm never sure where to start. Putting in plant supports earlier in the year is something I never get right, I forget which ones need the support and I often don't have enough of the right sized supports. As I've been working in the garden trying to tidy up I've been trying to decide which plants to cut back and which to leave over the winter for the wildlife.
The highlight of the garden over the last few weeks has been and still is the Hydrangea 'Limelight' with it's lovely creamy white conical flower heads. It's about four or five years since I planted it and each year more flowers have appeared. This year I've been able to cut some of them for the house without spoiling the display.
Now at the end of the month the weather seems to be improving a little. I'm hoping we might get a nice warm spell in September and perhaps the garden will perk up a bit.
I am linking this blog post to Sarah's blog at 'Down By the Sea' for her monthly 'Through the Garden Gate' post.









I need to start using plant supports. We've abandoned hostas as the slugs and snails devastate them no matter what we do.
ReplyDeleteI love your chaos, it is wild and beautiful. My vegetable garden is chaos but I love the abundance. My kitchen is also chaos with vegetables stacked everywhere; however, that drives me crazy!
ReplyDeleteJeannie@GetMeToTheCountry