At last we started to have better weather in February and how lovely it's been to be able to get out into the garden and start doing some jobs .
One important job was to cut down the grasses which were looking like mounds of straw. I could just see the new growth emerging from the base and this is the time to do this job. I didn't realize how many grasses I had in the garden until I started. I found it hard work on my arthritic hands so with the tall grasses I resorted to using the loppers and this worked very well.
![]() |
| Miscanthus before cutting back |
![]() |
| Miscanthus after cutting back |
The borders were looking a real mess with dead plant debris and leaves and I didn't know where to start. As I cleared each border I added a layer of mulch. It's not finished yet but looking much tidier. As I worked I could see new plant growth emerging. As usual I couldn't remember what some of the plants were--it will be a nice surprise when they start to get going and I can identify them.
![]() |
| Messy border |
![]() |
| Looking better |
![]() |
| Holly was taking a great interest in what I was doing |
The bulbs have started to flower in the last couple of weeks, the warm sunshine has brought them out. So there are little pops of colour dotted about.
I have been trying to get rid of a Vinca plant which has been taking over one of the small beds beside the archway. Its only been in there for two years and had rooted itself all over. I read somewhere recently that they can be a nuisance and the sort of plant you regret having planted. That's definitely true for me!
![]() |
| This had taken over the whole of the bed |
![]() |
| Finally got it all out! |
As I have been working my way around the garden doing jobs I have been making plans for changes I want to make this year. Some plants have got too big for their space and need moving or splitting up. Garden work goes on and on and there's a lot of thinking ahead and looking forward to new things happening as the year progresses.
I am linking this post to Sarah's blog at 'Down by the Sea' for her monthly 'Through the Garden Gate' post














A job well done - we planed to work in the garden yesterday but the pleasant weather that we were expecting never materialised
ReplyDeleteLoved reading about your garden and allotment and Sarah's. She is so much further on than us. My front garden is a soggy clay mess hard to work at the moment and dry and hard in places in the summer.
ReplyDeleteLovely to hear that you have managed to get out in the garden and do some work. I too have done lots of clearing up over the weekend and then read somewhere that I should have left the debris for the wildlife! I agree about issues with the vinca, we had a huge patch that we have been able to remove over the past year. Sarah x
ReplyDelete