Friday, 6 December 2019

Through the Garden gate-November




Gardening work starts to slow down in November, not just because there's no work to do --there is always work to do in the garden, but because the weather and preparations for Christmas usually slow me down.


I've pottered about a bit cutting some messy plants back. I tidied up the stumpery/woodland garden and bought some bark chippings to spread over this area. I never seem to have enough chippings no matter how much I put down, I always feel I need a couple more bags.  It looks better now though.



The rest of the garden looks ok. There are plenty of grasses which give some colour and there are still some yellow berries on the Rowan. In the winter light they sometimes look like little yellow fairy lights.



In the front garden there's a little area under the adjoining neighbours wall between the lilac and the weigela which is quite damp and shady and which I've been wanting to do something with, but not sure what. Richard dug out some of the turf in the summer as it was in such a mess. Since then the weeds grew and it began to look really messy.  When we had the painters in to do the front wall of the house we moved some pots of hostas from around the front door out of their way and put them under the wall. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much they brightened up this little area. So in my autumn  tidying up  session, I weeded here, put some bark chippings down and put the hosta pots back. They don't look much at the moment but I'm hoping that when they start to grow again next year they will really brighten up this dark, dreary area.




 I am linking this blog post with Sarah at 'Down by the Sea' for her monthly 'Through the Garden Gate'  post





5 comments:

  1. I'm itching to get some work done in the garden but it would reduce everywhere to a muddy mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks more ready for winter than mine. Those grasses extra for a winter garden. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grasses are good for when everything else has died down

      Delete
  3. Also in tidying and holding mode - till next year. Pots can be magical.

    ReplyDelete