Thursday, 31 October 2019

Through the Garden gate-- October 2019



 

 The garden is still looking good even though there are not so many flowers about now. I love walking around and spotting the odd flower hiding amongst greenery, like Rudbekia, Cosmos, Calendula and Potentilla. Still going strong are the Sedums and hanging on in there are some tall dark blue Salvia, Schizostylis and Michaelmas daisies. But the one which seems to show no signs of giving up is the hardy Geranium--Rosanne. It has flowered all through the summer and is still full of flowers.

We had a lot of heavy rain in October and our bottom border which is always damp is really sodden, so in my tidying up I have not touched the soil.  Elsewhere I have been clearing away any very dead plants but leaving those with seed heads.  This tidying up has meant that the grasses now can take pride of place in the borders.

One grass which I am really liking is a Miscanthus sinesis zebrinus.  This grass has been moved about so much, after growing in a pot at our old house, I planted it in the raised bed here in our new garden but it got lost amongst other plants. Earlier this year I moved it to a new border next to the archway and it absolutely loves living there.

One of the first trees  we planted in our new garden, two years ago was a Rowan.  This year is the first time it flowered and produced berries.  I was surprised to see that the berries were yellow--I thought they would be red. I should have read the plant label properly! But I love these yellow berries they have been a lovely contrast against its red autumn leaves.

Also full of fruit is the crab apple, planted earlier this year, the fruit is turning red now and there are lots of them.  I wonder how long it will be before the birds get to them.

I have planted up some autumn containers with cyclamen and violas and these are providing lots of colour near to the house on the patio and outside the kitchen door.


I am linking this post to Sarah's blog at 'Down by the Sea' for her monthly' Through the Garden Gate' post.

6 comments:

  1. I loved and lost a zebra grass. They definitely need a dedicated space to shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In its new place my zebra grass gets plenty of sun as well as space. I must make sure I don't over fill that bed with other plants now.

      Delete
  2. You still have quite a bit of color and your garden looks so good, mine, not so much. It hit 26 degrees (F) last night and that was that! I don't even want to walk out and look.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had frost last week. Its getting colder now and I have less enthusiasm for gardening

      Delete
  3. All our crab apples fell from the tree weeks ago. The tubs look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue, I'm enjoying seeing the colourful tubs. The branches of the crab apple tree are so heavy with fruit I keep thinking they will break with the weight

      Delete