Tuesday, 5 June 2018

Through the garden gate--May




I'm a bit late with my end of month 'Through the Garden Gate' post, we have been so busy in the garden making the most of the beautiful weather. May is such a lovely month in the garden, everything is so fresh and green and plants are bursting into flower. After such a wet winter the sunshine has been wonderful, and we have had very little rain. The down side of it of course is that in our garden with new plants, there has been a lot of watering to be done. But we have been enjoying our new garden, watching it develop as we continue to make changes. The flower borders are looking good, it seems that every day another flower has opened. We have watched with anticipation the growth of the alliums which I planted in the autumn and they have not disappointed us. They put on a wonderful display. As the the purple ones now start to fade the white ones in another bed are just starting to come out.


I brought a lot of plants to our new garden from our old garden and now they are coming into flower it is like meeting up with old friends. The hardy geraniums were a bit of a surprise as I didn't label them. They got planted last autumn and I had to wait to see which colour they were, Some were pink, some purple, some blue.


The Alchemilla Mollis is now in flower.  I love its frothy yellow flowers


This dicentra is a new plant and I'm really loving its white flowers.


Last autumn we visited a garden centre which had a sale of all their perennial plants. There were some good bargains and so with thoughts of planting up new borders I bought a few. Two of these were geums, a red one and a yellow one. In the last few weeks I have watched them grow bigger and finally they are both now in flower. They seem really happy where I planted them in one of the new raised beds.


In the front garden the weigela is a mass of pink flowers on graceful branches. Earlier in the year I under planted it with lavender and heucheras.  It seemed a good idea at the time, but now the branches are heavy with blossom they are stopping the light getting to them. So a job which had to be done was to cut back these lower branches. But Holly the cat loves to curl up under the canopy of the branches, sometimes to have a sleep in the shade, sometimes to watch out for mice. She is catching a lot of them at the moment. I'm not sure if she is very happy about having her little hiding place removed.

I am linking this post to Sarah's 'Through the Garden Gate' blog  at 'Down by the Sea'




2 comments:

  1. It seeme to be a good year for weigela. The one that we have on the allotment is dripping with flowers. Isn’t it exciting waiting for the first bloom on a new plant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I just noticed I hadn't commented on this. I love the geums, our red one has failed to flower this year. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete