Sunday, 30 April 2017

Through the garden gate--April



April is such a lovely month in the garden, there is so much fresh bright green foliage about and the borders are starting to fill out with new growth. The colours in my garden at the moment seem to be blue and yellow. Brunnera, forget-me-nots and bluebells contrast well with the lime green euphorbia and primroses. The aquilegia are just starting to flower, the hostas are unfurling their bright green and yellow leaves and the apple tree has blossom. There is so much to look forward to as we move further into Spring.

Hostas

The herb bed which I planted up last year is filling out now

Moving forward is what we are doing ourselves as we prepare to move house, so this may be my last blog about this garden. We are moving at a time when the garden is looking its best, so there is some sadness. Perhaps it would be better to move in the winter when the garden doesn't look as good.



So I am busy now taking cuttings of plants I want to take with me and  decluttering the shed. But as our daughter and family are moving in to our house we will be able to return, take more cuttings, sit in the garden and still enjoy it. We are not moving far, just up the road to a smaller house with a smaller garden. We are at that time in our lives when we need to downsize. Our new garden will be a challenge and it 's a chance to design another garden so we are looking forward to that. I'm not sure how Holly will enjoy moving to another garden.

I am joining with Sarah at 'Down by the sea ' for this monthly post 'Through the garden gate'


3 comments:

  1. It's good that you will not be leaving your garden completely. Do you manage to keep hostas slug free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I get lots of slugs. Late Spring and early summer the hostas look good but as the summer goes on the slugs take over. I still love hostas though. I find that the slugs don't like the thick leaved hostas as much

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking wonderful and it is nice to hear that it will still be staying in the family and can come back and get more cuttings if some don't take! I look forward to seeing your new garden. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete