Thursday, 10 October 2013

Allotment picnic



Sometimes when we have lots to do at the allotment we like to stay all day.   So we take food with us to keep us going. When our daughter and the grandchildren are there too we have a sort of bring and share lunch. Helen often brings a flask of her home made soup, usually made with allotment veg.  Last week it was spicy parsnip, another time it was pea.  I brought crusty bread, cheese and salad stuff.  I like to make a cake to munch on, a  fruit cake is good.  I have a recipe that I call allotment cake only because it's not too messy, and very wholesome. Other times I have called at the pie shop on the way or our son-in-law has bought fish and chips. Not very healthy I know but very welcome when we've been working hard.

We have  plenty of chairs to sit on and a table to spread our offerings on, even a tablecloth. And with tea or coffee to drink we have a lovely feast.

What do you take to eat at your allotment?


1 comment:

  1. That looks like a great picnic especially after a hard mornings work! We always took a flask and sandwiches up to our allotment. I always wanted to take fish and chips there but we never managed it! It was always good to stop and have a break and admire what you have achieved.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete