As we come to the end of September I look at the garden and feel pleased that it's still looking good. I've been able to sit back and enjoy the garden during August and September, or just potter around doing a bit of deadheading.
Up until a few years ago the garden always started to look quite tired and drab from late July. So in the last few years I've started to think more about planting for late summer colour. I've now got rudbekias, heleniums, michaelmas daisies, sedums. This year I've also grown dahlias for the first time in ages and I'm quite pleased with them. There are quite a few grasses too which give interest most of the year round and at this time of year take over the show as the earlier flowers die back. I feel that I'm starting to get it right.
Tomorrow is the start of October, the weather will change again, flowers will die, but I look forward to the colours and changes to the garden it will bring.


The weather has been simply insane this past week hasn't it? I don't think it's this warm in Summer in West Yorkshire :-)
ReplyDeleteIn Lancashire we usually get lots of rain, we're not used to all this sun.
ReplyDelete